Raw homemade cranberry relish is one of my favorite side dishes. Every year for Thanksgiving, there are heaping bowls on every corner of the table. The cranberry’s natural acidity along with the orange juice will brighten up almost any meal.
I love this recipe so much, I make it throughout the year since it is fantastic along side most poultry or pork dishes. The orange juice adds wonderful flavor while the sugar balances the natural tartness and thickens the juice, binding together the ingredients.
Tidbit: Stock up on cranberries while they are season and store them in your freezer.
Cranberries, one of mother nature’s super foods, are an excellent source of Vitamin C and E – boosting both the immune and the urinary system. They are also high in Vitamin K and fiber – protecting the body against free radicals and acting as an anti-inflammatory agent.
Fun Fact: Cranberries scientific name is Vaccinium macrocarpon sharing the same genus, Vaccinium, as blueberries – another one of mother nature’s super foods
Do you have a favorite cranberry recipe? Do you like to put them in muffins or pancakes? Dried cranberries make an excellent addition to trail mix or granola. Share below!
Prep time: ~15 minutes Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- 1 bag of cranberries
- 1 orange juiced and zested
- ½ – 1 cup of sugar
Easy to remember and easy to scale 1:1:1
- Rinse the cranberries under cold water.
- Place the cranberries in a blender or food processor along with the zest and juice of one orange.
- Add about half of the sugar and pulse – be mindful not to over pulse.
- Once it is at your desired consistency – taste and add sugar accordingly.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight to intensify the flavors.
- Serve alongside your favorite poultry or pork dish!