This past summer, I had the opportunity to visit a friend in Italy. Everything about Italy was fantastic; the scenery, the wine, the food…and the sandwiches were the best. Freshly-baked bread layered with honest, real ingredients.
Often wrapped in butcher paper and served with a light drizzle of olive oil and vinegar – no soggy bread. These grab-and-go sandwiches became our staple lunch.
Reminiscing about picnic lunches in Italy, I decided to whip up a batch of these at home this weekend. They were simple and flavorful. The perfect combination. I can’t wait for warmer weather and a blanket under a maple tree.
MARINATED EGGPLANT SANDWICH WITH SOPPRESSATA AND MOZZARELLA
total time ~30 min yield: 2 sandwiches
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sandwich rolls or bread of your choice
- 1 jar (8 oz) roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry, and halved
- 1 jar (8 oz) marinated eggplant, drained, patted dry, and halved
- 6 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 4 ounces thinly sliced soppressata
- 1 cup of arugula
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut the rolls in half and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake until lightly toasted. Let bread cool.
- On one half of the roll, layer soppressata, mozzarella, eggplant, roasted red peppers, and arugula.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar on the other half of the roll.
- Place sides together and cut roll in half. Enjoy!